What is TMJ Dysfunction?
- It is a problem affecting the chewing muscles (Muscles of masticaton) and the joints between the temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
- This is the joint connecting your lower jaw to your skull.
- Up to 30% of people will experience it at sometimes in their life.
What are the symptoms of TMJ dysfunction?
- Clicking, popping or grating noises when you move your mouth.
- Pain in muscles around the jaw.
- Difficulty in opening the mouth. Sometimes limited opening or locking of the jaw may be experienced.
- Headaches and migraines.
- Neck and back pains.
How can the dentist help with this?
- Correct diagnosis and the provision of a type of mouth guard can significantly help.